new color = #52bcd6, old color =

Making Sense of PROs

Picture of Songtrust Staff
1 minute read

You've written a song — working tirelessly to make it perfect — and now it’s finally done. While you’re ready to share it, you quickly realize it must be registered if you want to make any money off it. Where do you start?

Performing Rights Organizations, or PROs, collect royalties when a song is publicly broadcast or performed. Public performances can include plays in clubs and restaurants or on television, radio, websites, or other broadcasting systems. PROs collect fees from these establishments when they play your song and pay them out to you, the registered songwriter. Outside of the U.S., CMOs (Collective Management Organizations) are the norm, collecting both public performance royalties and mechanical royalties for their members.

PROs collect for usage in their specific territories, with the North American ones including ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, and SOCAN, but there are countless more worldwide. Navigating when and who to register with can be difficult and time-consuming, but it’s also very important. Working with a publishing administrator like Songtrust is a one-stop solution.

You shouldn't have to do it alone, so we've collected a ton of crucial information and answered all your FAQs in our Help Center. To get you started, here are a few places to start, including how we can help you figure out the PRO landscape:

If you don't find an answer to your question about PROs, reach out to our team and we'll be happy to guide you through any questions you have. To make sure you're registered properly and collecting all your possible royalties, including both performance and mechanical, sign up for a Songtrust account today.


Protect Your Rights With Songtrust's Music Publishing Split Sheet.

Download Resource